With local councils under threats from budget cuts our parks are in danger. Reduced funding and threats of spaces being sold off are real. These spaces can not be got back once sold as real estate. Read the article and please sign the petition if you would like to see your parks protected. Green spaces are important for our children as well as our mental health. Don’t let them go.
The news came yesterday that the government plans to continue and extend the badger culls into new counties. They have already taken place in Somerset and Gloucestershire since 2013 and in Dorset last year. The aim of the culls is to tackle bovine TB. Bovine TB is a serious issue for cattle farmers it affects thousands of farms and tens of thousands of cattle are culled each year as a result of it. There is a push to develop and approve vaccines for Bovine TB to vaccinate badgers and the cattle. However due to the expense and time this will take the culling option has been put forward as the main way of tackling the problem.
So the culls have been going ahead which so far has been a very costly procedure.
A quick look at the figures:
- £1,212.68 equivalent per badger culled
- 743 badgers culled by “controlled shooting”
- 724 badgers culled by cage trapping
An update on petition to parliament. The petition has received more than its necessary support to know go to the approval stage. To do this it must meet the standards, but I can’t see any reason it wouldn’t. It reached the required number on Saturday, then it can take up to a week to go live on the site. When it does please share the petition, tweet about, blog, whatever you can do to help as it is an important issue. I don’t expect the government to necessarily change its decision, but I do want to show disgust at the decision and flag to the other parties that the environment should be on their agendas. During the Brexit debates the remain parties campaign was rather limp. The efforts from GPO’s to represent the environmental concerns were not massive. So now we are left in a position where the positive steps undertaken for the environment may be undone. EU environmental policies were far from perfect, but the conservatives left unchecked will destroy what little we have left. So now more than ever is a time for individuals to make their voices heard. Please support my petition when it goes live to send a message that climate matters. If you want to follow on twitter look for @jobasha
The campaign I am doing under the hashtag #climatematters
Standards for petitions
We’ll only reject your petition if it’s:
- not clear what you’re asking for
- about something that the UK Government or Parliament is not responsible for
- about something that’s the responsibility of a devolved body (eg the Scottish Parliament)
- about a purely personal issue
- confidential, libellous, false or defamatory
- contains language that may cause offence, or is provocative or extreme in its views deceptive or misleading
- advertising or spam
- nonsensical, or a joke
- party political
- about honours or appointments – there’s a different way to nominate someone for an honour
- breaks the law or violates intellectual property rights
- covered by a court order, injunction or is about a case that’s active in the UK courts
- potentially confidential, commercially sensitive or might cause someone distress or financial loss
- names people working in public bodies (except for senior management)
- names family members of elected officials or people working in public bodies
- names someone who has been accused of a crime, or contains information that may identify them
- a Freedom of Information (FOI) request – there’s a different way to make an FOI request
In the mean time while I wait for the parliamentary petition to go live I have started another petition through 38 degrees. The first petition is through parliamentary petitions, which has been criticised as the idea of a petition website set up by the government is an odd one. It is an area which traditionally is done by outside forces to put pressure on the government. 38 degrees is an independent petition website, free from government control. It also means people worldwide can show disgust at the decision to scrap the climate change department, whereas the parliamentary website can only be signed by UK residents. So if you want to sign the 38 degrees petition the link is here: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/bring-back-the-climate-change-department
And now a bit of background on what climate change may mean. I can’t imagine anyone wanting polar bears to become extinct. These wonderful bundles of strength are on of natures wonders to watch. In this BBC story from 2014 they examine how man made global warming could lead to polar bear extinction.
Following on from my woodland trust tree party blog I figure more should be done than just ranting about the removal of the climate change department. I have started a petition to reinstate the department. I am fully aware of what the gloomy response I will get should it reach the successful debate number, but I don’t believe in not standing up and stating my views. In the words of the Lifted Lorax, “unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not”.
The petition needs 5 supporters to be introduced onto the website, so please click the link, get it rolling.
The Independent stating it is a stupid move.
The Guardian also stating the removal of department as major setback.
The Huffington Post providing it’s usual coverage of any Tory mistake.
My daughter sleeps soundly, but deserves a future with clean air, with wildlife, with plants, trees and fauna, with clean seas. We have a responsibility to look after this world for the future.