Over the Summer the allotment section of my outdoor area had become quite overgrown. I’d been working gradually to weed it with the kids, but it needed a decent chunk of time in one go. So on Thursday I got into school during the holiday to get the garden back on track.
The garden is overlooked by magnificent trees, which I’m grateful to have, but means a lot of time is spent on clearing leaves. Luckily the kids quite like doing this and I’ve set up a leaf box, so next year we should have some lovely leaf mould. Monty Don would be pleased. This was the garden at the start of Thursday.
The first allotment section I’ve dug over and put weed matting down. Then going to use the tyres as planters. These are going to be used for fruit and veg. It’s important to show the kids where our food comes from and they’ll enjoy eating something they’ve grown.
The middle section I’ve moved around the existing plants. The plan for this section is to have a garden section of shrubs and flowers requiring little maintenance. So I’m adding shrubs and flowers that will suppress weeds and will gradually fill the space. We had several patches of rosemary that have been doing well. I’ve put the three together to hopefully grow into a bush. Then lavender next to these. I dug in plenty of grit for drainage. These should be fine with the Summer holiday where they will be neglected of watering everyday.
Along the back I’ve got four conifers to give us some greenery through the year. There only meant to be small varieties, but have plenty of space to move them if they get too big. Then in front of them a number of hebes, again to give us some greenery through the year and the flowers are beloved by many insects. Mainly small varieties, so we can still see across the two playgrounds.
The front I’d planted daffodils with the children. I like doing a few bulbs with the children as they learn to wait for that long term pay off next year.
The third section I’ve just dug over for now apart from the dwarf apple tree I planted earlier in the year. This has established well. This last allotment section I’d like as an orchard, so I’m going to look at a few more dwarf fruit trees. I reckon I can fit four in. Again this will teach the children more about where our food comes from. Again once it’s set it won’t involve too much maintenance. As it was four large allotment sections is too much work to do with the children. Hopefully how I’ve set it now the children should be able to be involved in the upkeep and see some rewards for their work later next year.
The water butt has some willow cuttings I’d taken earlier in the term. Their starting to root now. We have a number of willow tunnels and structures, but some are looking the worse for wear. Hopefully the cuttings can help build them up again or be used to extend the structures.
Not a bad days work. While it may not look like much now. Give it a year and it should be looking more like an area the children can be proud of. While I’ve been busy working Alice had a nice day out at the deep in her Halloween costume. She loved the fishes, running from tank to tank in excitement. She’s that little bit older than last time, so could enjoy it better.